A little general update

I haven't had a ton to post about lately, because I've been trying to read too many books at once.  They are all so great and I want to read them ALL, but the result is that I don't finish any in anything resembling a reasonable amount of time.  I had a couple of really short novels--I'm talking 100 pages here--and I was finding that I'd read, say, a paragraph a day for 4 days because every time I picked one up I'd promptly get pulled off to do something else.

I really do have a wonderful pile of books, and more to come.  At work, I'm now purchasing for the language and literature collection, and one thing I've been doing is buying a lot of world literature.  This is both good for the collection and deliriously fun, and there are quite a few titles that I want to read.  It's hard work to limit myself and not just check them all out at once, but that would not be fair.

A favorite character in a favorite cartoon!
Over the weekend, I went on a little roadtrip (and incidentally got some reading in, since I wasn't doing the driving!).  I went to see a dramatic production of C. S. Lewis' book The Great Divorce, which is one of my favorite books ever.  It was quite interesting, with three actors doing all the parts.  I enjoyed a lot of it.  I did feel like it was sometimes a little overly dramatic, but that's theater for you.  Any play I produced would be boring, probably.  Anyway, it was neat to see, and if you should get the chance, it's well worth going.  I think I'll have to re-read the book, again...

Thanks to the hours in the car, I now actually have several neat books to post about, but you might have to be patient with me.  I'm going to be working extra hours for the next few weeks and might not get to the blog as much as I'd like.  I've got all sorts of things to tell you about, though, so stay tuned.


Comments

  1. Yes, you'd been very quiet lately so I was wondering ........ But I know exactly what you mean about reading too many books at once! Hands up, I'm guilty too. I need to get a handle on my numbers.

    I loved The Great Divorce too. I've been thinking about reading his The Four Loves lately since I've been reading about love in my novels, and have decided I'd like to know more about the different kinds. Besides, I miss Lewis' intellectual wit and sensibleness.

    I would love to be a librarian and get to purchase what I want. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will admit that the purchasing is a pretty enviable part of my job. :)

    I think it's hard to beat Lewis when it comes to wit and sense. He's just so good at seeing right through people--because he's done it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally relate! Reading too many books at one time equals zero books to finish and write about.

    I do need to read some C.S.Lewis. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't road trip reading the best? You're just forced to sit there and relax and keep yourself occupied, gosh, life is tough when you're a passenger on a road trip!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz